Finding the slices of heaven.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Thick Sugar Cookies

These cookies go extremely well with the previous icing recipe. I just made these in flower shapes for my daughter's birthday party with her friends instead of a cake. The are thick like store bought. You can make them as thick as you want, I made them 1/4" thick with the same thickness, if not more of icing. The size I made from this recipe turned out 52 cookies. I can't remember where I stumbled onto this recipe but it was a hit with the kids. If you like them crispy and thin, this isn't for you. I can post a good recipe for the thin/crispy crowd next.

3 egg yolks
2 eggs
3/4 Cup 3T & 2 t. butter
1 Cup & 1T sugar
3-1/2 Cups of flour
1-1/2 t. Baking Powder
1/4 t. Salt
3/4 t. Vanilla Extract

In a bowl cream together the butter & sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs (and yolks) one at a time fully incorporating after each addition. Then add the vanilla extract. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Wrap the dough in wax paper and plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Preaheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prep cookie sheets or use non-stick variety.

[Here is a trick I've learned through the years. When it comes to sugar cookies the more flour you add the harder they get and the less sweet they are. So when the recipe called for me to roll out the cookies on a floured surface I obediently followed the recommendation. I have tried a new way and found it to be better. You can try and see if you like it. ]

On a surface dusted with powdered (confectioners) sugar, roll the dough into desired thickness (this recipe used 1/4" thick) and cut into desired shapes. Place 1-1/2 - 2 inches apart on the sheets.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes (check at 8 minutes and then watch. You don't want these to get brown. They are better that way.) Allow cookies to cool on baking rack for at least 5 minutes.

Then frost as desired. *See previously listed recipe*

3 comments:

lioux said...

Mmmmmm...cookies. Thanks for your comment. And yes, we are both annoying; but hopefully in a good way. Blog on...

Liouxie

Angel said...

Thanks for the comment here Lioux...

Katie O said...

Is the frosting recipe still posted on the site? Am I just blind and missing it this morning? Thanks! I can't wait to try these!