Finding the slices of heaven.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

On the job front

I like my part-time job. I enjoy the people I work with and the job I do. It isn't a terribly difficult job and I figured out the main system at work within the first 2 weeks. In February I will have been there a year so that is mind boggling for me how fast time flies.

I enjoy my design work and the money is good but it isn't regular like a normal paycheck. I bust my butt for clients and it can take 4 or more months to finish the project. It isn't condusive to paying the regular bills with piece of mind.

My part-time job doesn't pay a ton of money so I was left with a problem. How do I make ends meet?

Well I started putting out resumes. I have interviewed at some architectural firms.

Then last week an odd thing happened. Our new manager, who has been on the job for a few months, got a better offer somewhere else and told me in confidence that fact. He told me that when I went in in the morning and all day I thought, "I wonder if I should inquire about the job." All day I pondered that and even asked M what he thought. I went back to work that night and my manager asked to speak with me. In the office he told me to act surprised when the owner told me of his leaving and that he has recommended me for the manager position. He knew I wanted more full-time hours and that I needed the financial security.

On top of that he told me that I'm the only one in the department that follows through, and also goes out of my way to finish things that are not my responsibility. I was honored and told him that I was interested.

Later the owner pulled me aside and asked me if I was interested. I told him yes. He said he wanted to interview one more person, talk to the co-owner and get back to me. That was last thursday.

Yesterday morning I went in and my manager and the owner pulled me into a conference room and told me the job is mine if I want it. DO I WANT IT? Yes. Abso-freaking-lutely. I would be able to split my schedule so that my kids won't be in day care until summer. I would be making a good regular SALARY (not hourly) AND maybe bonuses. Add to that it's only a 10 minute drive from my home so gas money won't be too high, I don't pay to park and I could still do design work at my disgression.

Hello!? That was a no brainer. I was so excited I almost couldn't contain myself. Now mind you the job will be stressful and I've never been a manager before but I have ideas, I know the staff and I like them all (and as far as I know they like me.)

Only one of my staff knows (my staff.... that is so awesome to type) so tonight I will tell another one. The showroom is mine, hiring, schedules, reviews and the like. Wow. So I know what I could probably get salary wise from my previous managers recommendation (when asked) so hopefully they will agree to it. There will be vacation time, and benefits. I was looking at NO healthcare at all.

I started training this morning and will do more tomorrow morning and a few days next week. But already problems are being handed to me. I hope I do a great job and hope the deparment and showroom do very good under my direction.

Wish me luck!!

4 comments:

Sally said...

Wow! Congratulations! That's awesome.

Terry said...

YAY!! I am so happy for you, it seems that 2008 is going to be just an amazing year for you!!

Rick said...

Congrats!

Angel said...

Thank you to all of you. It has been quite a year thus far.