Finding the slices of heaven.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Holiday Weekend masochist/curse

I have been very clumsy the last few days so the day of the bumbles has taken a turn for the worse. My holiday weekend doesn't involve my job or design work but it has involved work, such as most peoples Memorial days.

Our huge task was opening our pool. This is only our second year opening it and last year was a dream. It was clear, clean and just needed chemed up and cleaned.

This past fall we took extra precausions in closing it thinking we were smart. What we didn't count on was the fact that our winter cover we received in our pool package to be... um flimsy. Apparently many holes got in it and that meant a ton of dirt, leaves and yes... many other gross things. That and algae. *sigh* That means more chemicals, more scrubbing and we have to flush the filter after only a few days when normally it would be over a month before we'd have to do that.

Saturday when we put the hoses together for the filter hubby had me help jam them on. This morning I could barely move my hand, it was killing me! *sigh* So the day ahead of us with just my son's baseball game at 6pm we proceeded to finish the pool opening now that the water level was up. Hubby began to work on readying the filter and get me the DE that I needed to measure. I'm not a chemist but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once. hee hee... so I measure out the 4#'s of earth into the filter as it is turned on while hubby realizes the solar heater hoses are leaking. Minor frustrations there. The trees are letting loose tiny white flowers causing us to skim the pool 6 times today. yeah.. fun.

So hubby does something while I start to vacuum the bottom of our now skumy pool....ewwww I'm so upset. I suggest he run out to get the special chemicals for it. We added the shock, the chlorine, the stabilizer and the PH up but we needed something for the skuz. So he agrees and even takes the kids with him. After stating that I should stop if my sore hand hurts to bad he is off. I'm in my bikini and the sun is shining, such a beautiful day. Hubby even left me with a radio playing. Woo hoo.

My Sicilian neighbor had his brick layer over bricking another structure to add to his pizza oven that smoke fills my house. Hello guys.

So I clean clean clean. I'm finally getting sore and only halfway done. That's when I hear the filter running funny. It sounds higher pitched and not right. So I look at it. The pressure is too high. If I don't do something it could ruin the filter. So I could bump it, which is me just turning the filter off, pumping a handle three times and turning it back on. But I notice that the inner chamber that has a basket is full of leaves and junk. So I decide to open it and THEN bump it. It opens counter clockwise and I forgot that it has a shut off valve to keep the water from gushing out. My right hand is so sore but I feel I can open it, grab the basket and close it again. I brace myself onto the lid, squating. I then yank. It gives only too fast and my left hand has it's pinky finger and ring finger smashed between the lid and the valve. I have to turn it the other way to free my fingers which are now slashed and bleeding plus my ring finger is swelling rapidly and turning black. I, luckily took my rings off before this, have the ability to grab the basket and I close the lid before I stumble to the house in emense pain. I make it into the house, light headed and find an ice pack. I ended up on the floor in the family room and that's where my family found me, nearly passing out.

My kids were terrified and calling for hubby because I must have looked so pale. Hubby came up and asked 'what did you do?' After learning of what I did and that I was seemingly okay he headed outside. It took me another hour before the worst of the pain subsided and I could function.

Then we go to my son's baseball game and there I roll my ankle in my thick flip flops and it slices between my toes. Ouch. In the 3rd inning I hobble to the other side of the fence to suggest to hubby that my son stand farther back in the batters box when foul ball nearly hit my head.

Hubby looks at me quizically and says, 'what is with you lately? Did you piss someone off and they cursed you?' I sigh and hobble away.

My bumbles have turned into bandages.

6 comments:

Philip. said...

Hi,

I have just discovered your blog and must say how good it is. I'll certainly be back to visit.

If you get a chance, please feel free to say hello on mine, I 'd love to hear from you.

Philip
www.disabled-help.org

Terry said...

OUCH!!

Mike said...

As we used to tell my sister, "Sorry you are such a klutz".

OK, you might not truly be a klutz. Mahbe you are just trying out a new hobby?

Love Bears All Things said...

If ever there was a day you should hve stayed in be!

lioux said...

OMG!!!

I'm glad you're okay.

I grew up with an above ground pool and know first hand how troublesome it can be to open for the season.

Ginger said...

See, that is why, instead of our own pool, we have 2 neighbors with pools. It's not as convienent, mind you, but a lot less work.