Finding the slices of heaven.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

My Mom...

*** Special note: Some people have asked... the bride in the photos is my little sister (the one who lives in florida) not me. Just an FYI ***

My mom is an amazing person. I know you can probably all say that about your mom but I still say that my mom is amazing. She lost her dad by age 16 and her mom before turning 18. Alone with an older brother who could care less than her and a younger brother who was her grandmother's favorite she still remained strong.

She had dated my dad for awhile and they had broken up. He was living in CA for some time and returned to visit family when they bumped into each other. He suggested she come out to CA with him and later he sent her a ticket. Before turning 18 she left the only home she knew on a plane by herself. A strong lady following the man she loved.


They eloped and married at a justice of the peace after she turned 18. A year later they returned to PA to marry in the church since it was my grandmother's request.


My mom is all of 4'- 11-1/2" tall and a tough lady. She has endured a ton of things in her life. But she has also made the most amazing memories for me in my life. I remember nothing but happy Christmas's, birthdays and every holiday in between. She baked things from scratch with me watching on eagerly wanting to do what she was doing. Our house was always neat, tidy and organized. Our birthday cakes were the most delicious and amazing looking things you have ever seen. Once she made me a cake that looked just like a pizza with icing shaped and colored like mushrooms, pepperoni and such. It was incredible.


Throughout life she never thought twice about putting us first. She may have needed something but it gave her more joy to get what we needed first. My sister's say she likes to play the maryter role, I just see it as a great and giving mom.


Always seeking to learn more, always there to talk to, always excited about things in our life and cheering us on. Always catching more than one of my kid's soccer and baseball games. Always willing to watch our kids when we are in a bind. Always there for advise. Always giving hugs and encouraging words. Always there to turn to when I have difficult moments. Always gets on the floor to play with the kids. Always fun, smiling and happy. She has always been someone I look up to despite her not being taller than me. She is a strong woman who loves greatly. I have been so honored to know her as my mom and in the last 10 years have been happy to call her my friend as well.


I love you mom!! Happy mother's Day!

2 comments:

lioux said...

Your mom sound totally awesome.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute. I don't the apple has fallen far from the tree.