Finding the slices of heaven.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Yeah...you got me..... I'm short!

I'm short. Little. Tiny. Former nick names...."Shorty", "short shit", "Pebbles"....you get the idea.

So I'm rarely surprised when someone discusses height and derogatory things about short people, even in front of me. This one shocked me and hubby and I are still joking about this now.

A neighbor couple invited themselves back our driveway to 'see' our new pool deck we built ourselves. They are 'close talkers' and while they are friendly we rolled our eyes when we saw them.

The guy is a male nurse and has a back problem. He was telling us about a procedure he had to alleviate the pain and we told him how happy we were for him. Then his wife opened her mouth. I can still remember it in my minds eye. They are both at least 5'9 or above. I'm 5' even and hubby is 5'6".

She opened her mouth and said this. "I read somewhere that taller people have more back problems since they have to bend all the time for things."

I stood there, mouth agape in awe of her dumb ass statement. I calmly formulated my response....oooh I had so much to say but I was restrained. Hubby looked at me.....waiting. I shifted my weight and replied with a calm question, "So if I dropped something I wouldn't have to bend to pick it up since I'm short?"

She looked at me with a blank look on her face. She stammered and muttered other stupid things and finally gave up the battle and said, "All I'm saying is I read it somewhere." I didn't have to say another word on the subject. Really, how stupid can you be?

So now the joke in my house when I drop something? I say, "Uh oh, honey! I dropped something. I better use my powerful short person powers of levitation to get it."

I might be short and need a step ladder to reach some things but you can't fix stupid.

1 comment:

lioux said...

I know. I've been trying to fix C-W D for years.

*sigh*