Finding the slices of heaven.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Quite possibly too personal.....

***Pre-emptive warning to all male blogging friends (and possibly some female ones), this topic might make you cringe or blush and it might even be down-right bothersome to you. If you read, you are reading at YOUR OWN RISK. I am warning you ahead of time before you read it in it's entirety and any responsibility from here-on-out shall be laid upon your shoulders for I can not be held responsible after this WORD.

Okay, I have contemplated embarking on something and have done extensive research in a 'Monica-like' fashion (you know from "Friends" all organized and methodical and stuff.) This is probably a topic that might fall into the 'too much information' realm but I need help and...... well I thought of you all (aka fellow bloggers.) I know the men might not be much help here and I FULLY expect humorous responses, in fact some are encouarged as I find the question humorous myself, but here goes:

I am contemplating getting a Brazilian wax and for anyone who doesn't know what that is, feel free to read this article before commenting. I'm going to go to the beach in a month and this idea has been bouncing around in my wild, strawberry-blonde head for a few months now.

But in all my methodical reading and research one thing remains unanswered and that's what I aim to gather here. They tell you in most, okay practically ALL, of the articles that yellow pages searches for a proper waxing salon that does less painful and longer lasting work isn't the way to go. They state that the best waxers are found by word of mouth. Yes, by word of mouth.

The question is... how do you go about this?

Most of the people I talk to around town are men or, dare I say, 'plain-Jane' SAH mom's. I might be judging a book by it's *ahem* cover here but I can't fathom a good majority wanting one or even having gotten one. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit my error and beg for forgiveness. But with the women I do talk to most of what we chat about are our kids or the weather. Sure there are the occassional conversations about going out next week to see a band (and yes that has been posed for next Saturday and I'm definitely considering it because that would be awesome!!) or play that crazy wild game of Bunko and 'why hasn't a regular rousing game been scheduled in the last two months?' (which btw hasn't been scheduled and I'm relieved to know I haven't been permanently X'd off the list as I had previously feared. But I fear that a question such as this question might do the trick.)

So my question is this: How do you ask a friend down the street who would give an excellent Brazilian wax? I mean, how do you breech such a topic or nudge the conversation in such a direction. Sure talking about going to the beach and even buying a bikini might be in the right direction but how does one say "Speaking of bikini's...don't you hate that hair in the bikini line? And speaking of bikini lines... how about some of the other hair. I know I want to get rid of it, in fact, I'd like to get a brazilian, do you know of a good waxer?" without shocking looks and whispers surely behind your back. Perhaps even a snicker or two when you walk back from the bus stop. So you see, I'm in a bit of a pickle here so any GOOD suggestion will be considered and greatly appreciated. Thank you and blog 'ya later.

Legal Disclaimer: to my male blogging friends, I apologize but I did warn you. If you chose to read this far you did so on your own accord and should not blame me if you were bothered by the content in this post. Thank you and.....goodnight.

And if you're trying to read this you'll know that I'm married to a lawyer and found the legal disclaimer quite amusing. LOL

23 comments:

Working Gal said...

I'd say go for the pro-to-pro recommendation... i.e.: ask your hairdresser, or your gynecologist (if a woman), or a personal trainer in a high end gym, or just the wealthiest person you know.

It's not taboo anymore, although, be careful. A friend of mine got a bikini wax (her only one, and NOT a brazillian) before her trip to hawaii a few years ago, and had sort of a rash, etc, that drove her crazy - not worth ruining a vacation over.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

Angel said...

Thanks Working gal... after writing this post I thought I would call a local spa who doesn't seem to provide this service and start there with referrals. I just can't figure out how to bring up a topic with neighbors. LOL.

That was why I'm reading. It seems that the type of wax is important, the waxer's experience is important... thus the need to find someone who has gone to them and says they do great work. Given the area and such it's important. hee hee. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Ouch!

Angel said...

Finished last... hahahahahaha.. we'll see. :D

Angel said...

I know what a Brazillian wax is and in my opinion the pain is not worth the outcome.

I have never seen anyone have a problem nor have I ever had a problem with ass hair hanging out of my swimsuit. If you have had a bikini wax before and know you don't get rashes, then just do that. If you haven't, doing one before your vacation is not a good idea, like WG said.

Unless you are going to a nude beach and will be bending over showing your goodies, a Brazillian is unnecessary in my opinion! LOL!

But, to each their own. I won't even get a bikini wax, ever. A good old razor works JUST fine and I don't mind maintaining it weekly. Better than paying 100.00 to be subjected to blood curdling screaming and intense labor like pain. Fuck that.

Mike said...

Once again, If you had only flashed the snow plow driver, he might be able to help you out now.


Now don't you feel all icky, since the sunday school teacher just chimed in?

Angel said...

Drama.... I use a shaver to do what a brazilian would do but want to be smooth like a baby for me for something I want, plain and simple. You're right, to each their own. I have thought about starting with just a bikini wax first and go from there.

Mike... lmao... oh yeah? Are the snow plow drivers well versed in waxing? LMAO

No... I like to currupt you good church going people. hee hee.

Mike said...

And we appreciate it!

John said...

No good suggestions here. but this video seems relevant:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/196149/brazilian_waxing/

Angel said...

I realize now my comment came out so rude! LOL!

I totally didn't mean it that way... it was a piss poor attempt at being sarcastic and funny.

Pweeeez fo-give me?

I totally understand wanting to be smooth and such... it's just a pain I could never go thru:)

Angel said...

LOL I saw that one John. Thanks. But that doesn't deter me. I think I'll start with a regular bikini wax and go from there. Hubby did state that my waxer better be a woman or a gay man because no one else is allowed to have me in weird positions viewing my chacha.....lmao.

Angel said...

awwwww Drama... I read your comment twice and find it was humorous and didn't take it any other way. No forgiveness needed, all's good.

As for the pain, I have considered a few glasses of wine before it. lol. I probably would be giggling through the whole thing and making inappropriate jokes. No video cameras in there for me, even of my face. hee hee.

Sally said...

I agree with DraMa...not worth the pain for me...that's also probably why I will never get a tattoo. I'm a WIMP when it comes to pain...but the wine idea is a good one.

I have found that using hair trimmers (like what you cut guy's hair with) works pretty well for the bikini area...is that gross? I don't care, it's works great...and NO pain!

Ginger said...

I'm glad you brought this up. I feel very educated now. I don't think I could do the Braziian but am interested in a bikini wax. I didn't read how long they last (do you have to repeat during the season?) I'm interested in how it turns out for you.

Angel said...

Sally... I also want a tatoo in a hidden place. LOL. But the waxing is for me. I like the look and hate the shaving every day. This is supposed to last about 3 weeks if done right.

Ginger... I think I might start with the bikini wax first we shall see. I'll let you know what I discover.

Terry said...

Sign me up!! I would love to get rid of those unsightly unwanted hairs.... The pain scares me!! I have done the Bikini wax and while it is a bit ummmmmmmm " oh *s*#t" painful instantaneously, the outcome was well worth it in the long run.... Just dont think I could do the Braz.......

Angel said...

You know.... somehow I kind of known you would be on the same page with me GF. Two peas in a pod we are. That would be a weird thing to do with a friend huh? LMAO. I'll let you know what I plan to do.

Rick said...

Maybe you should just ask your neighbor who mows her lawn next time you go to one of her pampered chef parties.

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

AtHomeDaddy said...

Yeah.

Rick has a guy that mows his lawn.


Oh wait you meant.....


Never mind.

Terry said...

LOL, I do manicures with friends, but the Braz Wax, hmmmmmm? Who would be the designated driver??

Angel said...

Rick... um... okay. hee hee. (do I see a split personality here? lmao)

Chevy1968... looks at your comment then ricks then yours then ricks. Confused. Yeah.... wrong lawn babe! hee hee.

Terry... I just don't see it as an activity friends do together. Nails and facials or even going to the club to workout but not a Brazilian wax. Egad!

I still need to find someone who will drive my tipsy arse to the salon. I'm calling one today to see if they only do bikini wax and go from there.

Who'da thunk that a post about smoothing out a cha-cha would warrant the most comments ever!? hahahahahaha

Rick said...

Chevy1968 is one one of AtHomeDaddys alter egos.

And I don't get the split personality reference. Maybe another beer will help.

Angel said...

Rick... so it is. I'm so confused by all you people with your alter egos and such. *head spinning*

The split personality was an error due to the Chevy... blah blah now I feel stupid. LOL.

Okay, to answer your original post. Ummmm nahhh.... she doesn't mow her lawn all that well and isn't THAT big on appearances (walked out her front door in her navy blue robe this morning. eeeek and ewwwwww.) So I think I'll leave the beauty stuff to the ladies in the industry. I'm getting my hair cut today and will inquire there.

But I did get a HUGE chuckle from the lawn mowing reference. hee hee. My lawn doesn't need THAT much tending. hee hee.