Finding the slices of heaven.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

1st Day

Last night I started my new job. It was a quiet evening and I did basic training things. All-in-all I realized just how much experience I have when asking the manager a question about draperies (of which I used to design custom and sell and now make on my own for my house) and she replied 'I don't know.' I found my answer in the book and she said, 'you could teach us all.' I wonder how much more of that I will encounter. This place is just a catalog store really. Someone finds what they want and the service people order it for them.

I asked the other service girl there how many other Interior Designers work there (you know, sizing up the freelance competition) and she replied..."I took a year of Interior Design and then went to graphic design."

In my head I thought, "I took a year of guitar lessons but that doesn't make me a rock God now does it?" But something told me that that sounds a bit harsh so I bit my tongue and said, "Oh wow. Really? My sister is a graphic designer." I conveniently neglected to mention that since moving to Florida my sister has gotten and quit two jobs. (yes Lioux, another job. She got a job with a realtor to layout pages and before even the FIRST day she quit. *shakes head*) So it seems in the $40/hour freelance design area I am uncontested at the moment. Excellent *rubs hands together*.

They have people there who their sole jobs is to sales pitch the membership (which I think costs around $3,000.00 .... it's what I overheard but I'm not sure if that's yearly or lifetime or what?) One of the guys was very vibrant but something about him was weird. As I was assigned to aquaint myself with the manufacturer catalogs he was pitching the sale to a couple and I heard a word or two. I couldn't put my finger on what it was I thought he reminded me of. Then I saw a catalog and 2 +2 equaled 4. The manufacturer was 'Sharute'. The name trigged my brain to harken back to 'The Office' and Dewight Sharute. THAT'S IT!! He's like Dewight! Okay, maybe not so much physically but something about him was Dewight! Now I think I'll pay attention to the rest of the staff. Do you think that the model of 'the office' characters can be found in every office?

So today I have a training seminar for 2 hours (and yes, I get paid for the time) and my daughter gets to go with me. So far so good.

Hubby had the kids bathed and in bed when I got home. After 3 hours of no screaming kids, just 80's music overhead, and no irked hubby I felt like I spent 3 hours at the spa. I kid you not. I was so relaxed it was wonderful. Then I pulled wolfee into the garage and was greeted by my puppy (gotta love those dogs, always happy to see you.)

I was surprised to see hubby screwing something into my son's electric guitar that Santa got him. (Hubby has played guitar since he was 14 years old and is quite good. At one time he was in a band. Last year he was approached by another band of all lawyers of which I encouarged him to join but he didn't like the genre of music they covered and who am I to force him?) Santa gave my son a black 'Squire' made by Fender which is a 3/4 sized guitar and hubby has been giving him lessons. Apparently something 'fell off' according to my son but hubby thought he removed it.

So hubby was irrated and working on the floor with the guitar and my son was upstairs crying (I can only imagine the yelling the guitar insued) and my daughter was calling for me to go up and wipe her bottom. "Ahhh the sounds of home." I realized that I keep all people sane in my house and my night at work recharged me (isn't that sad?)

I calmed my son down and had a talk with him about taking care of his guitar. I wiped my daughter and reassured her that mommy was now home and wasn't leaving again. She said, "oh good mommy. I REALLY missed you." Awwwww.

Then I thanked hubby for unloading and reloading the dishwasher. Unfortunately the dishes that needed hand washed are still waiting for me. I'm going to get them done here before leaving for training. LOL Ahhh a SAH'er's work is never done, right?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good start. You will be running the place in no time.

Angel said...

Good for you on the job!! That's really great! Sounds like hubs did well at home too:) I always feel guilty for being away... it's just the control freak in me I guess. But, hubs always does fine too.

I hope this job goes well for you! It sounds cool.

lioux said...

Awesome!!!

I TOTALLY can't wait to hear more stories about annoying Co-Workers.

LID said...

Sounds Great! The best of both worlds sort of thing. Sounds like you might have some "good" opportunities there! Alas... a SAHer's work is NEVER done... that's what keeps it interesting, right?

Angel said...

Finished last... awww thanks! Sweet as always.

Drama... thanks! I worry about hubby with my son. They both have tempers. LOL. But they survived.

Lioux... I will share those with you for sure!! :D

Long island dad... so far yes. I just got back from a 2 hour seminar on hard wood floor. I know more crap then I thought. Yes, interesting. LOL. I'm getting back to keeping it interesting.

Love Bears All Things said...

Well, sounds as if your Hubby is trying to make it easier for you to rejoin the workplace. Every little bit helps. And being out in the world of adults again makes energizes you for your MOM role.

I hate it when a little education makes someone feel like an expert.
Mama Bear

Terry said...

I would have totally made the Rock God comment.... LOL

Sounds like everything is falling into place wonderfully...

I too had a 3/4 size guitar (inspired by my Bro) but when my Dog became ill, I sold all my equipment to cover his vet bill...I was 18 at the time!!

Angel said...

Mama Bear... he is trying. I plan to post his newest suggestion!

Terry... If only I could write down all the smarmy comments I have in my head but fail to actually say in polite company. LOL. Okay, so I DO say them after I've had a few drinks (except at law firm functions.)