Finding the slices of heaven.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Seven years my son...


Seven years ago, my son, you left my tummy where you used to kick me like crazy. We called you kicky monster because of that reason. I used to have my headphones on my tummy playing classical music when I worked and you would rest and roll. When you were hungry boy was I hungry. Seven years ago you decided to come 10 days early. It was cold, like this year and it had just snowed. We phoned your 'red grandma' at 1:30 am and she dressed and drove over to keep your daddy calm. Mommy was ready, and eager to see your face to know you. I was eager to finally hold my son.

Unfortunately you didn't want to come out just yet and 19 hours later you still refused to enter this world which included 2 hours of pushing. The doctors were worried. You were a good size for my small frame and after a tough decision I was told I had to go to surgery. I cried because I didn't want to but I wanted you to be safe. My family and some of daddy's family anxiously waited hour after hour wringing their hands. They all had tears as they wheeled you and I into the room.

7:57 pm you were born and crying. Your cry started my cry. You were out and seemed fine, but I wasn't. No one told me that, no one wanted to worry me. Daddy didn't want to leave me so the nurses took you out to see your red grandma and PapPap, my sisters (your aunts) and your now uncle Bill and one of daddy's brothers. I saw video later that grandma held you first. Still to this day she comments on how you looked into her eyes like you knew her immediately. She said she knew you were different.

While family got to know you the doctors worked to save me. You were wedged and mommy was bleeding. The doctors were good, they gave me a transfusion and saved me. I am forever grateful for that.

Since that day I have taken each second to cherish with you. I reveled in your first smile, first laugh, first step and so many firsts that I can't even begin to list them all. You grew fast and strong and ate well and slept even better. I was blessed that day and every day since.

My love for you is larger than I can even begin to describe. I've watched you grow from a baby that would lay in my arms to feed at all hours of the day to a crawling maniac to a toddling boy. I've seen you stretch taller and start soccer and t-ball and love them all. I've been in awe of your photographic memory, math skills from age 2, your deep compassion, your incredible sense of humor and huge zeal for life. You have the best laugh and say things every day that make me smile. I don't know what I did to deserve having you in my life but it must have been really good.

Today my son you entered my life and forever changed it. I thank God every day for giving you to me. I love you and no matter how big you get, you will always be my little boy.
(To forewarn my blog friends, I will be doing a photo montage of my son later today. Not a ton but at least one from each year of his life.)

21 comments:

lioux said...

AWWWW!!!

I hope the little guy has a very special day!

Angel said...

Me too. He missed the bus this morning and I had to drive him. But that's okay because I made cupcakes for his class for his b-day. He didn't just want chocolate or vanilla...NOOOOOO he wanted chocolate AND vanilla in the same cupcake. Phew... and I did it. He's lucky I love him so...lol

LID said...

What a handsome young man! Happy Birthday Big Guy! Can't wait for "the rest" of the pics. I hope he has a great day... I know he will 'cause you're his mother!

LID said...

Can we come over for cake later? We'll leave now!

Working Gal said...

What a sweet post!

You're lucky you can take in homemade cupcakes. All the schools around here allow is store bought! (Their reasoning is food safety - I don't see how my local grocery store is any safer than my kitchen, but, hey, what do I know?)

lioux said...

OMG!!!

I Love, Love, Love cupcakes!

He is so lucky.

Angel said...

What a sweet post! Scary labor but what a blessing, huh? Happy Birthday big boy:)

Angel said...

Long island dad... thanks. I'll show him all the comments when he gets home from school. Yeah... leave now. You might make it for the party Saturday! LOL. Hey you are all welcome!! Meatball sandwiches and italian sausage sandwiches are on the menu. LOL

Working gal.... wow, that's tough. I hope they don't do that here. But mine were in my baking business boxes so they looked store bought. LOL

Lioux.... you can have some for your next b-day if you want. Just remind me! :D

Drama... thanks! Yes it was. They thought for a bit I wouldn't be able to have anymore kids. My daughter is proof that they were wrong. LOL and she was a regular delivery. He was worth it!!!

Rick said...

And speaking of pictures, I see you changed your avatar.

You look just like the drawing, only less surreal.

Angel said...

Yes I have, Rick. Thanks for noticing. Hubby suggested I do that.

I'll take that as a compliment....I think. LOL

Mike said...

Happy birthday to boy and mom.

We left yesterday to head up for cupcakes. So we should be there in about 5 more days.

Save us some.

Sally said...

We have that store-bought rule here, too. My friend's son is 6 today, and she was at the grocery store at 6:30 this morning buying cupcakes...which taste in NO WAY like homemade!

Angel said...

I will bake fresh ones for you Mike! chocolate or yellow? ;-)

Sally... ahhh I hope they didn't, I haven't seen that as a rule. Hmmmm. Worried now. The same day as my son!? That's awesome. And these cupcakes were so moist they were almost liquid. LOL (not to boast, I was worried with chocolate on bottom and yellow on top I thought they'd be crap but they are delicious!) Last year he had me make chocolate with buttercream icing in the center (like a hostess cupcake) they were yummy!

Sally said...

Ok, you're making me hungry!! Coop's birthday is today - Thursday...was your son's yesterday?

Angel said...

Sorry Sally. I don't mean to make you hungry. I've only had banana bread all day... I need food too. LOL

My son's b-day is today... thursday, the 8th. Happy b-day to your friend's son. Excellent day to be born!!

Terry said...

Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday to you.....Happy Birthday little Monkey.....Happy Birthday to you.

What a beautiful sentiment, Angel..
If they won't allow the homemade cupcakes I can be there tomorrow to help eat them!!!

Angel said...

Terry.... thanks for the special b-day song!!!

They allowed the cupcakes and he even gave the principal one. LOL He had a great day. But hey, I told you (ignore Mike) if you're up this way... I'll even give you a cupcake.

Look at me, bribing to get friends. LOL I'm sad.

Terry said...

For, I cupcake I would even be willing to play "Nannie" for a day!! Damn this diet, I feel a cheat day coming on!!!

Mike said...

ignore Mike

My goodness it sounds like my family reunion and high school all rolled into one over here.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post Angel, Happy Birthday to the little man

Angel said...

Terry... I did manage to get ONE cupcake and, not to toot my own horn, they were delicious. I'll make some if your big rig enters the burgh.

Mike...lol you did say you didn't want us meeting because we would talk about you and she has dirt on you. I want the dirt so yeah... she's to ignore you. LMAO. j/k

Finished last.... thank you. He had a great day!