Finding the slices of heaven.

Friday, February 09, 2007

That kind of day...

I have had a DramaMama kind of day and it has me humming thus far.

Leaving the house later than planned because the icing took longer to make for the cake than I planned I was on my way to Walmart. Wow, just like Drama....lol. I needed a list of things and my mom and dad are sick and asked me to pick something up for them. So I am on my way with only one hour before I have to be at my son's school. I'm thinking great this is going to be run, run, run!!

So we find the decongestants for my mom, my daughter and some for the cabinet for myself. We go through the store and find the bike I planned to get my son and the woman back there helped me get the already assembled (woo hoo!!) bike into my cart. Then I maneuver the over stuffed cart through Valentines displays for the oh so necessary goodie bags because it is no longer enough to give JUST a valentine in school anymore. 38 kids to give baggies to between both kids. That aisle is conjested but we manage. I find the card for my BIL's whose b-day is Valentines day. I know. And then the ever important pop tarts for both kids. People are letting little ol' me go through with my bike stuffed cart and the woman at the check out is cordial and so I make converstation. It's just how I am. (Yeah, you figured that right long island dad?)

Once in the car I realize I have to skip Costco and go straight to my son's school for lunch. This is where I figure my day is going to be rougher than expected. My daughter has a bad head cold and I have her running like crazy. But we get to his school on time and sign in, then walk back to the cafeteria to wait. He arrives and he has totally forgotten that I was coming in to lunch with him for his b-day (albeit a day late ... but hey, it's pizza day! lol) He lights up with an ear to ear grin and my day just got 100% better. There is nothing like having that effect on your child. His happiness is mine.

So he guides me through the lunch line (like I've never done it before. *chuckle*) and then we find our way to the tiny tables and chairs. He is proudly telling his friends that my daughter and I are there. 22 kids ages 6-7 and for the first time in a long time I feel tall. okay... stop laughing. I became table mom, opening milk cartons and utensil packets. I got to hear about when each of their birthdays are and what is their favorite pizza while enjoying lunch with my kids. I even got an unprovoked public hug from my son which has become a no-no these days but hey, he did it not me. I was floating.

He seemed sad that lunch went so fast but we separated after leaving the cafeteria. My daughter and I, however were on the second leg of our trip. When I opened the back of my 'oh so sexy teal mini-van' (from now on known as the OSST mini-van) I realized I had over 20 bags of clothes to donate to St. Vincent Depaul, which was on the way to Costco. As I pull into the church parking lot, where the bins are located, I see the St. Vincent DePaul truck there and a guy shutting the back. I thought, oh man, I'll be in his way. He's on his way out.

I pull up and back in, not hindering his exit and climb out. The guy from the truck greeted me with a warm smile and hello. I greeted him back. I said, "I'm sorry. I see you are finished loading. Am I holding you up?"

"Oh no no," he replied and then offered to help unload the OSST mini-van. Then a second guy came out of nowhere and also began to help. It took only minutes for them to help unload the van while I tied the bags up. I offered to double up one bag and the one guy stopped me since there were shoes in it and said they load those differently. I apologize and laugh and he says, "If that's the worst thing to happen to me today then I'm in pretty good shape."

I thanked them and wished them a good day and they did in return. I was quite appreciative of their help and was on my way once more.

Then Peanut and I got a parking space pretty close to the entrance and given the windchill being 3 degrees I was glad. I scooped her bundled butt up and moved quickly inside. A gentleman was leaving with an empty cart and was pushing it in the corner. When he saw me he moved it for me to position Peanut in the basket. I thanked him and he replied, 'you're more than welcome. This one is nice and warm for her." Again I said thank you and entered the store, feeling like common courtesy is resurfacing in society.

The rest of the trip was quite uneventful. And while this trip might not seem that exciting it was full of nice things people did that helped make a normal shopping day quite enjoyable. Now I'm warm in my cozy home and about to take off cleaning, laundering and decorating a race car cake.

13 comments:

lioux said...

OMG!!!

I've totally had days like that!

Terry said...

It is good to hear that common courtesy still exists in some places!! I myself am the constantly courteous shopper. However, if someone crosses me while I am being courteous and they are not, I will almost always respond loud enough for them to hear me. If I say Thank You and they dont respond in any type of way, I will then also say "Your Quite Welcome", with a twist of sarcasm in my voice.

Angel said...

OMG, Lioux!! Really!? Freaky weird!! j/k That's great.

Terry...tru dat tru dat. (sorry little angel ghetto sneaks out from time to time. LOL) Yes. I'm sure it helps that I was dressed nicely, my hair was fixed, I'm a female and they were male and I smile at everyone.

I do the SAME sarcastic thing.

The other day though I did the inconsiderate thing in the self checkout aisle that Long island dad complained about. My items slid down to the guy who was bagging his things. I felt badly, recalling LID's post. I looked down and said, "Oh my! I'm sorry. I should have waited." Sincerely. He told me it was no problem but I still waited.

Steven said...

NO offense, but right about now I'm glad I had my johnson snipped. ;)

Steve~

Angel said...

Guess what Steven, hubby here is enjoying his johnson being snipped as well (and so am I. hee hee hee.)

Thanks for popping (oh no you didn't girl!) by!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I find it so refreshing to see that random strangers can still be so kind! Don't feel embarassed by your OOST van! I am rocking a maroon 1998 Ford Windstar! The SHAME, oh the SHAME! (hee-hee)

Angel said...

Hello and nice to meet you queen of mayhem! Welcome to my cloud pull up a puff ball and I'll be by your blog in a sec.

Ohhh we are so rockin awesome in the vans. I want to dance like Tawny Kitaen on the hood of my OSST mini-van before unloading it. Oh yeah, I'm THAT sexy! LMAO.

Mike said...

I am going out in the morning and I am going to be really rude to someone for no reason.

Somebody needs to put a stop to all this nice-ness. Might as well be me.

But I think I'll drive the wife's car, just in case I decide to end the courtesy streak while I am in traffic.

Would not want to get my car messed up by a mad recipient of my wrath.

Love Bears All Things said...

Angel,
I saw your comment at Obsession's blog. I decided to look you up. I enjoyed all of your posts. I assume you are in Cranberry township, PA. I used to live in Moon and Hopewell Townships so I know where that is.
Obsession is my son-by-law, Terry is his sister. My daughter is Stuck on Survive.
Mama Bear

Terry said...

A Tawny Kitaen dance on the hood of the OSST mini- van... ROFL

What hood??

Again, just another one of your many talents....

Angel said...

Mike you are such a B.A. Go for it!!! You're down there so I know I'm safe. LMAO. I take that back, I do not condone rudeness Mister! *waggling finger*

Mama Bear... nice to meet you and welcome. I do live where you say and know the areas you used to live. Thank you for stopping by and I just visited your blog.

Terry.... I know, it wouldn't be possible. I imagine it being a comedic scene with me slipping off where a hood would be. LMAO. Oh I have talents babe. I have talents you don't even know about! hee hee.

Terry said...

Yeah , but I read about them some where else!! J/K....

LID said...

Sounds like a cold but Great day nonetheless! Anytime you girls want to send some niceness eastbound I'd appreciate it! OSST... NICE!
YOU SLID ITEMS DOWN THE BELT... Shame on you! j/k LOL! As long as they didn't crush my cookies it's okay!
Table Mom... AWWWWWWW! Good for you!