Finding the slices of heaven.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Weekend warrior of sorts

I love taking on new projects whether it's making draperies, bricking a mailbox, putting in ceiling fans (which BTW my dad is coming by today to help finish the installation on) or crafts. I had mentioned posting some pictures and while the kids Valentine boxes aren't finished I have some things to share.

Last year I tiled the top of our coffee table. My kids had ruined it and we felt buying a new one was not a good idea. I managed to buy a huge box of broken tile from National X Home improvement store for only $5.00 and I got a ton of tile. I really sweet talked the tile guy and within a few days he had a huge box for me. LOL. It took about a week to do this but we are pleased. I need to start this spring on the end tables to match.
My coffee table while it dried
Last May I threw a bridal shower for my little sister, who got married in the Outer Banks. We threw her an ocean/beach themed shower and for months I worked on making a card holder (of the wishing well persuation) for the shower from something I saw in Family Circle. Here is the finished product. We had beach chairs in front with pictures of my sister and her then fiance (now hubby.)

Sandcastle

Sandcastle's draw bridge made from an old necklace. Mini seashells were used. This sandcastle was made from bird houses, cardboard, drywall mud, tan paint, sand and glitter and tons and tons of time.

11 comments:

Sally said...

I'm SO impressed! The table and the castle are awesome! I don't have the patience for projects like this. I think they look so cool, but I could never do it.

I have a good friend in CA who does stuff like this all the time (she made a coffee table, upholstered the sides so the babies wouldn't hurt themselves, and tiled the top)...and she asks for tools for her birthday - a drill, a nail gun, an air compressor...I love it!

Hubby is crafty like this, and I can't wait to have kids b/c he will help them make AWESOME school projects!

I can't wait to see the Valentine's boxes!

LID said...

One word Angel.... COOL!!!!

Mike said...

Cool projects.

I tile-topped our patio table the same way. It was nice but I did not seal it well enough and it did not last outside.

I always loved that look.

Terry said...

Angel, you are awesome. When I grow up I want to be just like you!!

Mike said...

Grow up? Haven't you given up on that Terry? I think 4ft 11 and change is about all the up you get.

Angel said...

Sally... thanks! I spent more time on the castle than the table. LOL but I'm proud of them both. Labors of love. I guess I never think 'I can't do that' I just tell myself I can and I do. haha. I love power tools and my neighbors don't know what to make of me. LOL. Wait until I get that toolbelt Mike told me about (pink leather!! yep it'll be mine!)

Long island dad... coming from you that is such a wonderful compliment. Thanks! :D

Mike... thanks for the compliments!! Yes, sealing is so important! And thanks for reminding me that I have to do that yet! Yikes. It's great because no coasters are needed. I had done a smale telephone table about 8 years ago in marble chicklet tiles that we love.

Terry... I was going to ask you if you were being a smart ass and kid you a bit but it seems Mike got to kidding you first. hahahaha. I'd laugh harder but I'm short too and can't fully commit to laughing at a fellow vertically challenged lady.

Angel said...

Of course, Mike, I meant small and not 'smale', darn fingers.

John said...

Wow! I love the table. Many years ago I went through a major Danish furniture period. My dining room set is still the all-teak set I purchased way back then. I remember looking at coffee tables with ceramic tile tops, like the one you made, but they were for between $6000 and $10000. And that was in the 1980's.

You could make a nice living selling coffee tables for $6000 ;-)

Angel said...

Wow, that much? You make me want to buy a bunch of wooden coffee tables at flea markets and tile them and make a big profit, John! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Your the bomb!!!

Terry said...

No, I was not being a smartass ( but I think Mike was!!) I do not feel my age at all, and yes you are awesome Angel!! Many many talents!