Finding the slices of heaven.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Design Corner: Psychology of Color Part #2

This darn snowstorm and closing of school plus hubby being sick Monday derailed my “Monday Design Corner”. Darn it to heck and back! So I will rename it just “Design Corner” So here is part #2 of the Psychology of color series. You can read "Psychology of color Part #1" if you wish to by clicking on the link.

Color is an amazing thing. We use color to describe emotion sometimes like we are green with envy or red with anger or even that we feel blue. But color can also affect our moods, appetite and energy levels. Most people have favorite colors in clothes, cars and their home. I’ve noticed that CSI shows have used color to make each division of their show be unique. CSI in Vegas is mostly at night but with bright light-like colors. In CSI Miami the colors are tropical and match the locale for sure and CSI New York has darker muted colors but seem to emphasize blue (at least the last time I watched it, it might have changed.) So color is an amazing tool and for those of us with sight, sometimes a thing we take for granted or not even realize its effects.

Today I will cover the color blue.

It is the color most people pick as their favorite color. It’s in the cool family and is one of the primary colors (like red).

Blue is calming and cool. It is often thought that most people like the color because they associate it with the sky and heaven.

Soothing blue walls can make a south- or west-facing room feel cooler. Many things I have read have said that blue is an ideal bedroom color choice for both adults and children.

Interestingly enough the blue that soothes us and lulls us to sleep or cools us also suppresses appetites, so try to keep it out of the dining room. The difference in lightness and darkness of a color is called it’s ‘value.’ The value of the color depends on the amount of light it reflects (lighter) or absorbs (darker.) You’ve probably seen the value of a color in a paint store on a paint deck (a sample of a color ranging from light to dark in the same ‘hue’. These terms are given to color in the Munsell system and include ‘hue, value and chroma’.) The spectrum of blue is wide in terms of what different shades of blue can do to a space. An example of this: a turquoise can create a retro look but a teal has a darker, more sophisticated look.

Here are some locations I found about the color blue, after writing this. (My writings are based on notes from college and research through the years.) But they all seem to say basically the same thing.

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/colorselection/p/blue.htm

http://fengshui.about.com/od/fengshuiuseofcolors/qt/fengshuiblue.htm

http://interiordec.about.com/cs/colorindecor/a/beachcolorschem.htm

12 comments:

Mike said...

And if you paint a 40 year old truck the same color as you wife's living room, she will get no end to the grief from all of the neighbors!

Yeah for blue.

Angel said...

I was going to link to your post showing your living room but didn't want to impose that on you.

Does she get grief for that? LOL

Steven said...

I don't like the color blue when it's on my balls. ;)

Steve~

Terry said...

So I guess that means the Blue bathroom walls go hand in hand with my scale... Both are appetite suppressants, not to mention the large mirror.. Maybe I should consider a blue Kitchen as well!!

Angel said...

Steve.... while I don't have first hand knowledge of such a thing, I CAN empathize. LOL. Ummm and I don't think I would use such a thing in decor. And thanks for the *chuckle*

Terry....I haven't met a mirror that I liked thus far. Sure they can be pretty but.... LOL If you like the color blue in the kitchen. LOL But remember the post about Red being complimentary to food? hee hee... you are conflicted now?

Rick said...

My favorite colour has never been red, though I have owned 3 red cars and 1 red/white truck.

Years ago I would have said my favorite colour was blue, but these days I claim it to be yellow. Yellow is such a happy colour. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Angel said...

I love red but for my VW Beetle, that I will buy in the spring, it has been between red and mellow yellow. Now mellow yellow isn't available...sunflower yellow is. Those are seriously the two colors I'm struggling with. If you are going to have a fun car, have it in a fun color, right?

Without spoiling a future color post, you are right. Yellow is a fun, happy, optomistic color. Except in kids rooms and you should never use that color in mental wards/institutions or detox centers. More on that another day.

Mike said...

Does she get grief for that? LOL

Mainly from me. Just like every other bit of grief she gets in her life.

TRAIN WRECK said...

Darn it to heck and back?
Watch your language Angel!

LID said...

Great Stuff A! I'm a big blue fan! Being a boy and all!

Angel said...

I love you. I really do. I love these posts of yours. I learn so much! And, when I'm ready to paint my house this summer, you know I'll be coming to you for advice. I just wish I could fly you out here and make you do all the work and make the decisions! LOL!

Angel said...

Mike.... LOL. You're lucky she loves you. hee hee.

TW... believe it or not I do not swear unless REALLY hurt or out of my mind. I was raised to believe that it isn't becoming of a woman to do so. So darn, and heck and pooh are what I say a lot. Sure, I swear as I type on the blogs and say quite a few colorful words in my erotica. Perhaps that cleanses my palate. hee hee.

Long island dad... thanks! I'm glad you liked it. Now I just need to figure out what color to do next? hee hee. Oh and my son subscribes to the belief that blue is for boys too. LOL.

Drama...Umm *blush* thanks. Should I hug you or buy you dinner? LMAO, j/k. I will keep these posts up since it's a great refresher for me. Interior Design is MUCH more than this but it helps me. Don't tell anyone but I won't charge you for advice. Remember though that people around here will be paying me $40 or more per hour for the same advice. It's because we are BFF's. *smile*