Finding the slices of heaven.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Adult Talents .... Take 2

Awhile back I posted a recipe for a quick prepped chicken recipe. I made it shortly there after and have to say that I recommend using TWO cans of Cream of Mushroom soup and additional milk. It makes it more creamy and yummy.

In an effort to continue this (while not spoiling my small baking business) I plan to add another recipe.

We've all had bananas on the counter or on the banana hanger that we thought the family would eat but now they are past the point of no return. Their peels are blackening by the second as we look at them and the kids crinckle their nose at the mere sight of them. Well don't throw those away because they are at the perfect point for banana bread. Their extra sugars make banana bread extra delicious. So today I will share with you my mom's recipe for blender banana bread. This morning I made two loaves and the house smells heavenly and hubby is excited because he loves it.

To any man (or woman) out there who says he isn't that good a cook I say to you: Think of it in terms of construction. You need the right tools and pieces and need to follow the instructions. Think of it as building something rather than baking. If you follow the instructions, not missing a step you will do fine. The most important thing with this recipe is timing, and I'll get to that at the end of the recipe:

Blender Banana Bread

In a separate bowl sift together the following:
2 Cups Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

After sifting set the bowl aside and move to the blender.

In the blender mix together (and you might need to use a spoon to push down some of the ingredients to incorporate properly... and YES turn OFF the blender first. LOL)

2 eggs (large is what I use)
1/2 cup softened butter (and I use the real thing so if you use margarine it might turn out slightly diferent.)
2 teaspoons milk
1 Cup Sugar
1-1/2 cups sliced bananas (I use 3 medium ones and it works just fine!)

After blending the wet ingredients pour them into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture is fully incorporated. Grease a 9x5x3 loaf pan (I use a baggie and Crisco shortening and line the pan with the grease and then toss some flour in and shake the pan until coated, then dump the rest of the flour in the sink or garbage can.) Pour the batter into the pan and bake about 45 minutes. This is where timing comes in. When the timer goes off stick a butter knife into a center point. If it comes out clean, take the loaf out. If it comes out with batter on it, set the timer for another 3 minutes and repeat this until the knife comes out clean. Let cool and flip the loaf onto aluminum foil so that you can close it up and keep it fresh and moist. Enjoy!

Here is a picture of one of my two loaves on my counter. Yum!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blender banana bread? Never heard of such a thing but your loaf looks wonderful. I am going to have to try this as soon as I have some over ripe bananas.

Angel said...

Do not add the dry ingredients into the blender!! LOL that would be a disaster! hee hee

Sassy... it's good, even better after a day wrapped in the foil with butter on it and a cup of coffee. Yum. Remember that timing is key! If it cooks too long it won't be as moist! Good luck!

lioux said...

Mmmm.

Banana Bread.

Co-Worker Anthony eats bananas ALL THE TIME!

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy

LID said...

Love the analogy to tools and plans. But, my wife is a great chef, heck she does it for a living, we have a world class kitchen with all the appointments... can anyone say Calphalon... As I have said previously, tools in the hands of novices can be dangerous. The quick prepped chicken was great -- though Cream of Broccoli and broccoli heads can be substituted, I know, that's what I did!
Baking scares me... I trust you though, and the next time I have those damn spolied bananas I'll try, promise!

Mike said...

By the way, the kids picked though and ate the chicken and macaroni, carfully avoiding the mixed veggies I had thrown into the pan at the last minute.

They may not eat enough veggies, but at least their fine motor skills got a workout!

Angel said...

Lioux.... yes, it is delicious. LOL... then bananas don't spoil at Company Inc.

Finished last...it will be yummy, sorry I missed you!

Long island dad... you're probably right about the tools in the wrong hands. Perhaps I never think about that when I cook or bake because my mom taught me well. World class kitchen....ohhhh jelly belly. I have plans laid out for mine to be in that category. Mmmm cream of broccoli and broccoli head. That will HAVE to be tried.

Mike... lol sounds like my house. At least we try.