Finding the slices of heaven.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Angel's secret

Those of you who honor me with your presence and comments here at Angel's Cloud I must tell you I have kept a secret from you all. I had a job interview yesterday with a members only showroom that sells all sorts of things for your home. I felt by the phone call with the woman who set up the interview that I would get offered the job. Not being cocky, I just felt it. I have 11 years experience and a degree. I've worked in various jobs for design gleening numerous aspects and knowledge. I know I don't know everything but I can hold my own.

So I was right. She offered me the job. She apologized that she couldn't offer me more money. I never accept a job on the spot, I always call them back after weighing pros and cons. So before leaving she said, "I look forward to hearing your answer. I hope it's a yes!" From there I went to Starbucks for a celebritory mocha latte (I haven't had one in 2 years. And in my small town we have TWO starbucks! I know.) I sat and crunched the numbers.

The pay is kind of stinky. The hours are incredibly flexible. In fact I could take my kids in if hubby couldn't get home for another hour because they have a play area. It would be a few evenings like 5-9pm and saturdays 9-5. I have done sales before and the last job I had was straight commission and it sucked. This would be guaranteed pay, flexible hours AND she was emphasizing a few things. #1 They give bonuses based on their draw for the period. #2 I'd get a raise after 60 days (she said I WOULD not might.) and #3 Customers come in looking for designers to go to their homes and do space planning, color selections and other such things (of which I've done a lot of) and it would be separate from this job. She said I could set my own price and the other designer had charged around $40-$50 an hour for it.

So I have a few more questions but folks, how does that job sound to you? I know one thing, they will have to allow me to go to all my son's baseball games in the spring. I will not be absent for those. I love watching him and would die if I couldn't. Also, I could still blog with all my favorite blogging buddies. *sigh* decisions decisions.

14 comments:

LID said...

[Responded by Email]

Anonymous said...

Congrats . it' s always nice to be wanted.

Angel said...

I think it sounds fantastic on paper! It seems wonderful and congrats! But only you will know how this will fit into your life.

A lot of times jobs sound great and then you start working them and promises are broken and it's not as great as it seemed. So is this one you could easily just quit one day if you don't like it and it doesn't work out?

lioux said...

Totally, Congrats!

It does sound awesome, with quite a few perks.

Hmmm.

John said...

Congrats! Sounds like a great opportunity. If you want or need to return to work, then it sounds like you would be happy there.

lioux said...

Did your interview go something like this?

TRAIN WRECK said...

Grab it. Sounds good.
Listen to your gut. The gut never lies.

Mike said...

I say since the pay already sucks, I'll be your manager and you can send me 26.3%.

'Kay?

Congrats!

Angel said...

Wow everyone! Thanks for the responses! Thank you thank you!

long island dad... thanks for the email!!

finished last.. yes it is. :D

DramaMama... true dat, true dat. That's exactly my thoughts. We are so freakishly alike. LOL

lioux, thanks! And what was the hmmm for? *quirks brow*

John... thank you! I am interested in going back if it doesn't negatively impact my family. They are my priority.

TW... you cut to the chase and give sound advise. My gut tells me to try, I can always walk away. ;-)

Mike... okay, I lied earlier when I said I watched Sesame street and learned how to share. hee hee... But nice angle!! lol Thanks. ;-)

Terry said...

Got in a little late on this topic, but hey Angel the only draw back I see would be sacrificng any family time, if that can be resolved then Go For It!!

Rick said...

Don't do it. Free time is priceless.

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

sound good to me!! when do I start?

Angel said...

Terry... that is what I'm weighing and the only way to find out how it fits is to try, IMO.

Rick.... I agree...lol. But debt isn't priceless. Hee hee

Rich (btw, welcome!!) LOL are you offering to do the job FOR me? ;-)

Terry said...

I think Rich was offering, but I am not sure you could get him to hand over the money!!