Finding the slices of heaven.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Preschool experience

One evening at a party in our housing plan we were talking with a neighbor and inquiring about preschools. That was November 2003 and she told me about the one her daughter went to. It sounded good so I contacted them in December of 2003 and arranged a tour considering the school for my son, who was 3 at the time. It seems most kids in our area started preschool in Fall when they were 3 and we apparently were behind. My son had been begging to go to school and we were surprised most kids were already going.

I remember the day we toured in December. The administrator was abrasive but the school was small and nice. The main room was pie shaped and the large side was all windows looking out over a farm field. It was snowing and the scene out the window was magnificent. Then we overheard her talk to another parent who came in that kids could be enrolled in January, in the middle of the school year. Our ears perked up. You see around this town getting into preschools is a big ordeal. Slots are limited and fill fast. At that particular preschool church members there get first opportunity and then the general public have to jump on it early to get the remaing slots. They only have 16 per class and only two classes in the morning and two in the afternoon for age three and the same for age 4. I remember hearing that at one preschool in town people would line up on sign up day at 5 am. Now I’m no early riser so that didn’t appeal to me at all and after seeing this particular one I was already sold on it. The added bonus we would miss the crazy fight for a slot since some had opened in the middle of the year due to kids moving. We were excited.

What was also nice was that this was attached to a church (not of my denomination) and they taught religious studies, basic to the kids. It was an amazing fit. So we signed our son up that day. What was also wonderful was that my son was done with preschool when my daughter would start and he guaranteed her a spot. That was fantastic.

He loved the school. He thrived. He finished out the year and then went back the next for the 4 year old program. They helped us get him ready for kindergarten which is far different than the curriculum in kindergarten when I went. Instead of playtime mixed with coloring, cutting, story time and cookie snack time of my day kindergarten is now very structured. They are learning to write words, they are learning math like addition and so much more.

First grade is now right into reading, subtraction and pre geometry. Wow! I had no idea. My son comes home and discusses the spheres, cones and rectangular prisms.

So now my daughter’s kindergarten sign ups are coming up next month. She has atteneded the same preschool and is in her second year. I hope this school has prepared her too. The tuition was a lot to bite off but has been worth it. And…. The last tuition payment is the beginning of April (they do first and last tuition before the first day like first and last month of rent…lol so May has no payment.) Woo hoo!

I am pleased with our preschool choice and how my children have thrived. I had no idea how important it would be for them. I teach them but at home but this was a good introduction to socialization, being away from me and structure with a teacher. My daughter had been with me each time I dropped my son off and loved the school. By the time her first day to go came around she said, “Goodbye mommy. See you later.” And ran off. *sniffle* I cried each and every first day of school, sending off my babies to the big cruel world. I knew though as they confidently ran away from me that I had helped give them that confidence, which was a consolation. They must grow and are doing a fantastic job of it. And then I go back to my quiet, empty house and realize…. I can get all the cleaning done with the radio blaring in half the time!! Wow. The only draw back was I was used to talking to my kids in the grocery cart. Now I fear fellow patrons will think I'm crazy when I accidentally forget that now I'm alone and talk to an empty cart. That and I have found that shopping in silence makes it hard to concentrate. LOL

So I’m a big supporter of preschool in this day and age, if you can find the right one to fit you and your child

4 comments:

LID said...

Great story Angel! Thanks for sharing your experience with us! And don't worry... supermarket people will just think you're older than you really are (both kids in school) LOL!LOL! Just tell'em you had you kids at 14 and things will be fine.
We actually held the Helper out one more year -- he could have gone this past fall -- but his brother was born in October. After some serious thought we figured it would be better if he went next year instead. We didn't want him to feel like his brother was born and we pushed him out of the house. Sometimes too much change is not good -- and as you know he's sensitive to begin with! Ha!

Mike said...

We haven't done preschool with The Talker. I know he is going to be fine with the academic stuff. I worry though about his social stuff, though.

He does go to classes at the Y and at church, but nothing that is a full day like Kindergarten will be.

We shall see in August.

Anonymous said...

Ours all went at age four and did great and loved it.

Angel said...

long island dad... I can definitely see the logic in your decision to wait with the helper. Each family needs to make the decisions that work best for their child. He sounds like he will flourish in school. :D

Mike... that's how I felt about my son. He's advanced academically but he needed to mix with other kids. My daughter might be the opposite. She's less worried about learning and is enjoying the social aspect a lot. LOL btw... here we don't have all day kindergarten. Preschool for 3 year olds is 2-1/2 hours two days a week, for 4 year olds 2-1/2 hours 3 days a week and for kindergarten its' 2-1/2 hours for 5 days a week. It's an easy progression so that's why we did it.

Finished last.... that's great!

As for the age thing, if you're thinking they are too young, both of my kids couldn't wait to go. Now my son (in 1st grade) is begging to stay home. It doesn't take long. LOL