Finding the slices of heaven.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

My kitty cat

It's Saturday morning and I have to take my cat to the vet in a few hours. It's not for a routine visit, she's been steadily losing weight and acting weird. She's eating the dog food, begging for human food (which she's never done before) and many other things. The vet (of whom I saw LAST saturday for my dog's well visit) wants to run blood work to check her kidney functions, to check for diabetes and for feline hyperthyroidism.

*sigh*

She's almost 11 years old. I worry and yet I also worry this will cost a ton of money. But they are family and we can't neglect them. I just hope this won't turn out to be the money pit only to watch her suffer and die. *sniffle*


**********Update*************

We took Eponine, my cat, to the vet and had almost $200 worth of tests done. Good news is she isn't having kidney failure. Her liver functions were testing high but the vet seemed to be under the same impression that I had, that my cat has hyperthyroidism. (I have hypOthyroidism, weird) But we won't know until Monday when the test comes back from her T4 test. She's lost a total of 3 lbs (1 lb in 5 months alone) so I'm glad we took her or else we were being neglectful. *sigh* Of the three things (kidney failure, Diabetes and Hyperthyroidism) she could have had I would much prefer the one she more than likely has. It means it can be treated and NOT with me having to inject her with needles, just feeding her pills (which I hope won't be too hard.)

Animals. They are part of our family, expensive but worth it. When hubby was in law school she was who I came home too. She was what helped me through it. I owe her so much for that.

5 comments:

LID said...

Sorry to hear your kitty's not well. They're such good friends. We used to have two... now only one... brain cancer two years ago. Glad to hear things are looking up -- good luck!

Angel said...

Awwww I'm sorry you lost a kitty. We had a kitten in 1999 for 6 days and found out he had leukemia and had to put him down. Since then we have only lost a fish. When we loose this cat some day we'll be a mess.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Angel said...

Aw, poor little kitty! I hope that her condition is treatable and you get her all better and put some weight back on her. I know how it is with beloved pets.

lioux said...

Aw, Poor thing.

Angel said...

She eats non-stop but has been losing weight. She even chases the dog (who weighs 32-1/2 lbs) away to eat the dogs food.

We will hear from the vet today for the results of the T4 (which is oddly enough the blood test I have regularly done for my thyroid condition.)